Friday, December 12, 2008

Music Abuse! U.S. using music to torture prisoners.

So Trent Reznor and other artists are being used to fight terrorism. At first this has sort of a comedic value, and many interesting and humorous situations come to mind:

"I'll tell you nothing."

"Oh really? Are you sure you want to face the consequences?"

"I'm strong, I can withstand any torture..."

"Even...HANSON?"

"Mmm bob dip a dop..."

"NO! NO! THE AGONY! THE PAIN!"


But after the chuckles pass away, some serious problems arise. First of all, shouldn't an artist be okay with this sort of thing? I mean, I know people play artist's music for all sorts of purposes they don't know about, but that's mostly for raves and things (although those are considered torture by some parties). How do you feel if you know that your song is being used in a waterboarding lab somewhere? Obviously not good if they're banding together to express their disapproval.

Secondly, they are saying in the articles that some of these guys lost their minds due to the blasting of loud music. Isn't that counterproductive? Don't you want your terrorists to be in a sane state when they give you information?

Plus that whole "torture is evil and wrong" thing. But I'm not a politician, so I won't weigh in there.

Either way, it's music abuse, and that's just not cool.

No comments: