Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Album Review: 8Stops7 - In Moderation

I've mostly taken it upon myself to do new album reviews since that is the nature of the music beast: it is all about what is new and happening right now. This is why I plan on reviewing CDs from Scarface and Akon among others in the coming weeks.

But sometimes a CD that is a little bit older just takes hold of you and won't let go, even after almost ten years. This sort of CD deserves a review, especially since it's from a band that never really got much publicity after the release. And since I mentioned one of their songs in the pick-me-up thread, I figured I should give them a little more attention.

8Stops7 is a rock band from Ventura, California that broke onto the music scene with the 1999 release In Moderation, and quickly got national notice for the singles "Satisfied" and "Question Everything," even getting a spot on the soundtrack from the show Friends. The problem was no one bought the album and Reprise records subsequently dropped 8Stops7 from their label.

If anyone had heard this album, they never would have had to be dropped.

In Moderation was -- and, 9 years later, still is -- the quintessential modern rock album. Every element to this album is nearly perfect, from the mood-setting thrashing guitars to the chilling vocals from Evan Sula-Goff, from the pulsing rock anthems to the moving ballads. This album was crafted with obvious care from top to bottom, from track to track, and it hits all five of the RRC criteria pretty flawlessly.

The guitars slash in some songs and whisper in others. The same can be said about Sula-Goff's voice, which has a surprisingly strong range. The lyrics aren't just splattering of angry words together but true stories. Every song has substance, from "Satisfied"'s battle with addiction to "Regression"'s letter from a child school shooter. There are songs about love and loss, songs about fathers dying and lovers' insanity. Each song is a story that draws the listener in and envelops them in a style that is uniquely 8Stops7's own.

8Stops7 released another album which is nearly impossible to find, and is planning on releasing another one in the coming year. I have tried desperately to find the second album because this first one had such an overwhelming effect on me. It has been 9 years since I first purchased this album and it still can bring out whatever emotion is needed: sadness, happiness, fear (from the end of "Better" which is a truly haunting song).

I reviewed this album because while there have been many good albums this year, I still feel like something's missing, and I wanted to show that there is an album that most people missed which should be discovered and given the attention it deserves.



Scoring:

Replayability: (20/20) "Not Alive," "Question Everything," "Regression," "Uninspired," "Esteem": each of these songs deserve multiple listens, and it takes many listens to "Esteem" to get your head around the subject matter. The songs are deep and moving and require multiple listens to truly enjoy.

Music: (18/20) The guitars from this album were much like the guitars from most the post-grunge rock era: heavy, distorted, and talented enough to carry a track. What really helps this score is that the shift in musical styles completely carries the album's momentum, and the solo in "Esteem" really captures the essence of the song completely.

Lyrics: (18/20) The pain is evident in "Regression": "These idle hands don't know their worth/I've covered them in blood, but this still fucking hurts." Similarly, the simple yet powerful lyrics in "Good Enough" display a much more hopeful theme: "But maybe tomorrow you'll wake up to find out/If I'm not good enough for now I'm good enough to wait for you."

Completeness: (20/20) This album was mixed and arranged perfectly, starting with the highs and mixing in the lows effortlessly. A variety of different emotions and moods are covered in the CD, and they flow naturally through one another.

Emotional Pull: (19/20) Spilling over from the last score, the emotions are powerfully on display throughout the entire album, climaxing at the end of "Forget," where Sula-Goff ends the CD with the full-circle: "When I need to find what I'm missing/And I can't recall what it was I believed in/Take me home." The ride is full of identifiable moments that listeners can relate to.

Total Score: 95

Grade: A


8Stops7 hits it right on nearly every chord, every vocal, every song. It may be hard to find, but it is on Amazon for 7 dollars, and that's a STEAL. This album is great from start to finish. Here's hoping that the other material they have and will put out can live up to the same standard.

Check, Check Plus, X
Satisfied √
Not Alive √+
Question Everything √+
Regression √+
Good Enough √+
Better √+
Uninspired √+
Esteem √+
Wider √
My Would-Be Savior √
Forget √+


Like I said, the next few album reviews should happen this week, as there is plenty of more hip hop, plus other albums coming out this week and next.

Sit tight til the next grade,
RRC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly. This Album is amazing. I'm currently searching for the Bend Album and if I come across it I'll let you know.

scopus said...

12 years later it is still one of the best albums I have ever heard. I've gone from 24 years old to 36 yeas old, got married and had3 kids in that time. This album, though I've heard every song countless times and can recite the lyrics in my sleep, never loses its luster. I just can't hear the music enough. The 2006 album Bend is very good as well but it will always be difficult to stand up to In Moderation. Bend can be downloaded at Itunes. I am anxiously awaiting the 3rd album now. What a shame thisbnd only put out 3 albums in 14 years.